Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Few Honourable Mentions

I don't intend to write any essays here. Today I write only for the many little stories or factoids that do not warrant their own post by themselves.

7 Eleven. I experienced some genuine glee when I first noticed that this country was full of them. EXCEPT, when you step into these mascqerading shops, you quickly perceive that aside from the store's name, nothing is familiar to you! Okay, okay - maybe a couple chocolate bars. But even the chips are foreign. And the only 'supposed' brand name chip (Sunchips) taste like chimera sunchip/buggle/awful chips.

To counter that disappointment, let me add the blessing of McDonalds. Woah! Easy! I would never say that in Canada. But in foreign lands, McDonalds are always more respectable. Especially when they offer you unbeatable and unbelievable prices at lunch. I could get 2 Bigmac meals (with tomato and bacon) and substitute their drinks for small shakes and only pay $7 Cdn. total.. Plus, it tastes like home, not kimchi (Korea's 'everywhere food'). [Tyler and I think that Korean body odor and old Korean fridges smell like kimchi; and that everything that tastes funny, like milk, has rice in it]. For the record, I don't mind the taste of Kimchi.

Scaring Tyler. Oh, he knew this was coming. It was one of my 'best ever' scares. Before I begin - a detail about our house. The bathroom shower has a mini sliding window that opens to a sheltered shoe removal area. From that area I was about to depart, when Tyler yells in his best Swartzenegger voice: "Get Down!" which startlers anyone who doesn't expect there to be anybody in the room with them. He was showering and decided to surpise me with a good natured scare. So I left to run an errand and crept back quietly to the same location where I could exact my revenge. This time the window was shut. I poise right in front of the foggy glass...then *slide* and with a yet more precise Arnold voice: "It's not a tumor!" Hahaha, I still laugh at his raw animal reaction. He quite seriously screamed bloody murder and through up his hands in the air. The kind of reaction you think Hollywood has embellished until you see it for yourself. Thankfully he was already laughing with me in seconds.

I think triplets are enough for anyone to give birth to in one day. Now I rest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL .............
I'm going to submit your blog
to an editor :-)

Gavin said...

I am enjoying the blog Mike. Keep 'em coming!

Derek said...

I still remember walking into 7-11 for the first time in Japan. I stead of being met with fresh coffee, double dogs, and Doritos, I was met with fishy stuff in boiling water, coffee in a can, and shrimp chips.
However I hear there is Mexican near us! Great posts, thanks for taking the time to update us.